Each year, from 2015 to 2018, as part of the course of Foundaments of Artificial Intelligence M, groups of students have been invited to design a little prototype of an Artificial Intelligence able to play to the game of Nine Men's Morris.
This experience has led to:
- New knowledge acquisition: autonomous study of AI techniques not taught during the course (Genetic Algorithms, Neuroevolution, Negamax, NegaScout, BNS)
- Knowledge consolidation and motivation improvement: students declare themselves as more motivated by the challenge, and that it has helped them to learn the course concepts
- Course exam performance improvement: at average, better final marks and smaller percentage of exam failure
This research has been presented at the XVIth International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence:
- Link to the published article: A Game-Based Competition as Instrument for Teaching Artificial Intelligence (Springer website).
- Link to the pre-publish version of the article and to the article poster (bottom of the page): A Game-Based Competition as Instrument for Teaching Artificial Intelligence (AI@Unibo website)
For any questions, feel free to contact professor Paola Mello (paola.mello *at* unibo.it), engineer Federico Chesani (federico.chesani *at* unibo.it) or Andrea Galassi (a.galassi *at* unibo.it).
Nine Men's Morris Good Moves Dataset
Thanks to this competition it has been possible to create a dataset of good moves for this game, that can be freely used for any machine learning approach: dataset page.
Thanks to every student who has participate to this competition:
Arianna Zanetti, Alessio Paccoia, Mirco Nani, Alessio Tonioni, Francesco Burelli, Antonio Murgia, Francesco Lo Cascio, Mirko Collura, Costantino Casaburi, Silvio Olivastri, Andrea Battaglia, Andrea Zanotti, Pierluigi Zama Ramirez, Niccolò Aimi, Francesco Giorgianni, Massimiliano La Ferrara, Angelo Maglione, Raffaele Rotella, Alessio Durinzi, Stefano Nicoletti, Alessandro Di Cesare, Filippo Franzoni, Tommaso Madonia, Andrea Galassi, Francesco Ricci, Cosimo Scarcella, Leo Gioia, Amedeo Palopoli, Alfonso Solimeo, Alessandro Vadruccio, Paolo Sarti, Marco Di Vincenzo, Marcello Ballanti, Dario Alise, Giuseppe Di Marzo, Federico Ruggeri, Dario Pasquali, Sara Bevilacqua, Nicola Lazzari, Andrea Rossetto, Nicola Ghiselli, Michele Gelsomini, Giocanni Grammatico, Alessandro Celi, Matteo Carano, Daniele Pettinari, Leonardo Mora, Leonardo Baroncelli, Francesco Calabria, Kevin Zaini, Alex Casadio, Simone Nigro, Nikos Thomopulos, Boschini Matteo, Silvestri Mattia, Guardati Simone, Buratti Luca, Gianessi Mattia, Berlati Alessandro, Corni Gabriele, Andraghetti Lorenzo, Bombino Andrea, Di Felice Marco, Damini Enrico, Stivala Giada, Cinesi Andrea, Neri Giacomo, Paternesi Claudio, Foti Daniele, Alessi Nicola, Zirondelli Alberto, Buscaroli Riccardo, Pastore Valerio, Tempesta Giuseppe, Torchi Andrea, Domeniconi Federico, Gavagna Andrea, Stella Federico, Chiossi Luca, Feraudo Angelo, Staffolani Alessandro, Nicolò Scarpa, Marco Raminella, Antonini Lorenzo, Baratta Giovanni, Della Penna Roberto, Magnani Paolo, Frabetti Filippo, Semprini Nicola, Grasso Antonio, Bonfiglioli Luca, Rosa Lorenzo.